Currently, the military compensation system has over 70 separate types of pay and allowances. In general annual military pay raises are linked to the increase in civilian wages. However current laws governing annual pay raises no longer guarantee that military pay will be at automatically set above civilian average pay increases. A 1.7% pay raise for servicemembers went into effect on January 1, 2013.
Factors That Affect Pay
In addition to advancement and promotion, the following factors will influence pay.
- The Annual Pay Raise.
- Longevity raises virtually every 2 years (based on the number of years in service).
- Basic Allowance for Housing Increases BAH (based on location).
- Basic Allowance for Subsistence BAS Increase.
- Cost of Living Allowance COLA Increase (based on location).
- And Special Pay(s) (based on occupations: Combat, Flight, Hazardous Duty).